Trust Requirements

There are different kinds of trusts such as a simple trust, a charity trust, a revocable trust, and a family trust. A trust may or may not have a Tax Identification Number and does not have to be registered with the Massachusetts Secretary of State’s Corporations Division.


The following required documentation must be presented at an RMV Service Center when registering and/or titling a vehicle in the name of a trust:

      Proof that the trust exists including Name of Trust, Name of Trustee, and Signature of Trustee. Proof of a trust would be pages from the trust showing the name of the trust and trustee(s), along with a signature page.

      If the trust has a Tax Identification Number (TIN) or Employer Identification Number (EIN), Proof of Tax Identification Number (TIN) is required

      A Title or Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, and any other documents, if required, assigned to the trust

      An RMV-1 Form listing the trust’s name in the Corp/Co/Organization Name  section of form and its Tax Identification Number (TIN) or Employer Identification Number (EIN) (or Social Security Number for trustee if no TIN/EIN)