Partnership Requirements

A General Partnership is an unincorporated business that is owned by two or more individuals.


As with a sole proprietor, vehicles owned by a general partnership cannot be registered or titled under the "Doing Business As" (DBA) name. Instead, all vehicles owned by the general partnership are registered and titled in the name of the principal partner or managing partner as shown on the Proof of Tax Identification Number (TIN).


The following required documentation must be presented at an RMV Service Center when registering and/or titling a vehicle in the name of a partnership:

      A Title or Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, and any other documents, if required, assigned to the name of the principal or managing partner

      An RMV-1 Form listing the principal partner’s name in Corp/Co/Organization Name section of form and the partnership’s Tax Identification Number (TIN) or Employer Identification Number (EIN)

      Proof of Tax Identification Number (TIN)