Heavy Equipment

The sale of a new or used piece of equipment (e.g. a bull-dozer or back-hoe) that is required to be titled and/or registered as a motor vehicle or trailer may be exempt from the sales/use tax if the selling dealer has already collected the tax.


No trade-in credit is allowed for heavy equipment. If the tax was paid out-of-state, reciprocity rules apply.

Please see the Reducing the Tax Due section for more information on reciprocity.


Required documents for this exemption:

      A completed RMV-1 Form

      A Bill of Sale or invoice from the dealer, on the dealer’s letterhead, showing the tax was paid