The RMV accepts CDL skills test waiver request forms from Commercial Driver License (CDL) applicants with military Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) experience. Drivers who meet the requirements outlined in 49 CFR 383.77 may be eligible for the skills test waiver.
In order to apply for a waiver an applicant and his/her commanding officer must complete the Application for Military Skills Test Waiver form and submit documentation of military driver training and experience (e.g. DA Form 348). The application can be found by selecting the following link Application for Military Skills Test Waiver, or in the Forms & Manuals section on the RMV website.
The waiver is limited only to the skills test portion of the CDL application process specified in 49 CFR 383.113. Knowledge exams cannot be waived. Applicants are required to take and pass the CDL general knowledge exam and the knowledge exam(s) for any endorsement they require. The skills test will not be waived for school bus endorsements.
The waiver will only be considered if the applicant meets the following criteria:
(a) During the two-year period immediately prior to applying for a CDL, he/she:
(1) Has not had more than one license (except for a military license);
(2) Has not had any license suspended, revoked, or cancelled;
(3) Has not had any convictions for any type of motor vehicle for the disqualifying offenses contained in 49 CFR 383.51(b);
(4) Has not had more than one conviction for any type of motor vehicle for serious traffic violations contained in 49 CFR 383.51(c); and
(5) Has not had had any conviction for a violation of military, State or local law relating to motor vehicle traffic control (other than a parking violation) arising in connection with any traffic accident, and has no record of an accident in which he/she was at fault; and
(b) Is regularly employed or was regularly employed within the last one year in a military position requiring operation of a CMV; and
(c) Was exempted from the CDL requirements in 49 CFR 383.3(c); and
(d) Was operating a vehicle representative of the CMV the driver applicant operates or expects to operate, for at least the 2 years immediately preceding discharge from the military.
The Application for Military Skills Test Waiver form and proof of military driver training and experience can be either mailed or faxed to the Driver Licensing Department of the Registry of Motor Vehicles for review.
Mail forms to:
MassDOT, RMV Division
PO Box 55889
Boston, MA 02205
Fax forms to:
Applicants will be notified of the result of their request either by phone or email notification. If the waiver request form is approved, and the applicant has obtained a MA Commercial License Permit (CLP), a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) will be issued in the class of license for which they qualify.