Business Entity Requirements

This section provides current Registry of Motor Vehicles' requirements for business entities including Incorporated Companies, Limited Liability Companies, Foreign Corporations, Sole Proprietors, Trusts, and Partnerships.


Massachusetts General Laws Chapters 90 and 90D require that a vehicle be registered and titled in the name of the legal owner; in these cases, the legal business name. A "Doing Business As" (DBA) is not a legal entity. Therefore, vehicles cannot be registered or titled to a DBA. All incorporated entities, such as corporations and Limited Liability Companies (LLCs), must be registered with the Massachusetts Secretary of State's Corporations Division


If the business entity has a Tax Identification Number (TIN) or Employer Identification Number (EIN), it must supply proof from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) of its legal entity name.


Proof that a business entity has a Tax Identification Number includes the following acceptable Internal Revenue Service documents*:

      Form 147C

      Form 5372 - Notice of New Employer Identification Number Assigned

      CP575 notice (issued by IRS)

      Certificate of Exemption Form ST-2 (issued by the Department of Revenue)


*Proof of these Internal Revenue Service documents must be presented at an RMV Serivce Center. The documents should be two years old or less and fax copies and photocopies of the above forms are acceptable. Application forms, such as the SS-4 form, are filled out by customers; therefore, they will not be accepted as proof of Tax Identification Number (TIN) or Employer Identification Number (EIN) if they are presented at the service center.