Abandoned Vehicles

A vehicle that has been left on a public way or on a private way without the permission of the private owner or the appropriate authorities is considered abandoned. The city or town or State Police may dispose of the vehicle after obtaining ownership. The following documents are required for a transfer of ownership for an abandoned vehicle:

1.  Bill of Sale from the government entity selling the vehicle which states the statute allowing the sale

2.  Affidavit of Fact if vehicle details are not listed on the Bill of Sale


For more information, please see Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 90 Section 22c.