Veteran’s Indicator Policy

All Massachusetts residents who are veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces and were honorably discharged can choose to have a Veteran’s Indicator on their Driver’s License, Learner’s Permit, Massachusetts ID card, or Liquor ID card.  If they choose this, the word “Veteran” will be printed on the lower right corner of their license or ID card, or in the bottom center of their learner’s permit. The Veteran’s Indicator can be added to a license, permit, or ID card upon issuance or renewal. Aside from the standard issuance or renewal fee, there is no additional fee for the Veteran’s Indicator. A veteran can also obtain a duplicate license or ID card for no fee to add the Veteran’s Indicator.


One of the following documents (typed, not handwritten) must be presented as proof of honorable discharge:

      A DD-214 that indicates honorable discharge

      A DD-215 that indicates honorable discharge

      An Honorable Discharge form


There is a question on the Class D, M, or DM License and ID Card Application and the CDL Application asking if the customer is a veteran and if he/she would like the Veteran’s Indicator.  A customer who wants the Veteran’s Indicator on his/her Driver’s License, Massachusetts ID card, or Liquor ID card must answer “yes” to this question when applying for, renewing, or ordering a duplicate license or ID card.


The Veteran’s Indicator cannot be added during a transaction that is completed online. To have the Veteran’s Indicator added to a driver’s license or ID card, the customer will need to visit an RMV Service Center. If the customer prefers not to visit a service center, he/she can continue with the online transaction, but the Veteran’s Indicator will not appear on the driver’s license or ID card that he/she receives in the mail.