When a customer 18 years of age or older applies for a new Massachusetts ID card, he/she is required to present at least three forms of identification (to prove date of birth, signature, Massachusetts residence) as well as provide a valid Social Security number or a Denial Notice. When a customer under the age of 18 applies for a new Massachusetts ID card, he/she is required to present proof of date of birth, provide a valid Social Security number or a Denial Notice, and his/her parent or guardian must provide consent by signing the application.
Additional information may need to be verified in the following situations:
1. The customer has documents in a language other than English
2. The customer has a non-United States passport with a visa
3. The customer has changed his/her name
4. The customer has changed his/her gender
5. The customer is 65 years or older
If a customer’s application cannot be processed at this stage, he/she is entitled to an explanation and an appeals process.
The following sections explain the Identity policies in greater detail.