Change of Name

If a customer has recently changed his/her name, he/she should make the change with the Social Security Administration before changing the name on a permit/license/ID card. This is to ensure that Social Security On-Line Verification recognizes the customer’s new name when the Registry of Motor Vehicles attempts to validate the Social Security number. The customer is not required to present any documents to the Registry of Motor Vehicles to prove the new name.


The customer is required to report the name change to the Registry of Motor Vehicles and obtain a new permit/license/ID card bearing his/her new name and signature. The customer must complete this transaction in person at an RMV Service Center. If the customer wants to change his/her name at the Registry of Motor Vehicles but has not notified the Social Security Administration of a name change, he/she must provide his/her previous name, date of birth, and Social Security number.